On January 1st Facebook is once again changing their privacy settings – all Facebook users received an email about this update. The big question is, how will the changes affect you?
Facebook is the place where people can find out everything about you and if you don’t know how to manage your privacy settings, they may be seeing things you don’t necessarily want them to. So, here’s a breakdown of what’s happening:
- Privacy Basics: Facebook has finally developed an easy to understand tutorial to help you adjust your privacy settings. Think of it as Facebook Privacy 101. There are three main areas they will cover:
- What others see about you.
- How others interact with you.
- What you see.
- Explanation of Facebooks Apps and Services: Facebook offers a lot of different services and now they are going to do a better job of explaining how these can help or affect you. For example:
- How Facebook gets location information based on different features you may use.
- Testing a Buy button to purchase products directly from the Facebook site.
- Explaining how they use the information they get from you.
- How apps interact, like Facebook and Instagram’s relationship.
- How Facebook uses your information to help advertisers target you.
- Ability to opt out of certain ads: Facebook will explain how this works and now any changes you make will apply to all devices you use.
It’s super important that we all understand how privacy settings work on Facebook considering more than 1 billion people are using it daily. Know your options so you can present your best face to the world!