I recently read an article on the difference between a walk and a hike. A walk is usually in a urban setting, basically where you live. A hike is generally in the wilderness, requiring a back pack and hiking boots. A walk often is on well-groomed pathways. Walks are local and people outside the immediate area don’t know about them. This made me think of our Camden Communities in Orange County and all the great “walks” our residents can enjoy. I’ve picked 5 walks that are close to some of our So Cal communities.
1. Turtle Rock Trail, Irvine. This is by UC Irvine and a favorite of many locals. It’s 2.8 miles, easy to moderate or if you want a vigorous workout try climbing to the top of Suicide Hill. Begin at Turtle Rock Community Center.
2. Bayview Trail and San Diego Creek Trail, Newport Beach to Irvine. This trail runs along the Back Bay on paved pathways, very easy, and great for the whole family, including your furry friend! If you want to get closer to the water look for the unpaved trails. The Bayview Trail is 3 miles round trip or you can double that once back at Jamboree by crossing over the neck of the bay on the sidewalk. Start at Bayview Way and Jamboree Road.
3. Oso Creek Trail, Mission Viejo. This walk runs along a creek and is a paved trail that is perfect for walking, running, and riding your bike. You can even bring a book if you’re out for a leisurely stroll and enjoy the many benches that are in serene spots along the trail. The walk is 2.3 miles , starting at the Thomas R. Potocki Conference Center on La Paz Road.
4. Huntington State Beach. Walk next to the famous beach of Huntington. It’s 4.1 miles, easy and flat, paved pathway. Great for the whole family for walking, running, biking, etc. You can also extend to Long Beach or Newport.
5. Fullerton Arboretum, Fullerton. This walk is 1.5 miles and is open 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. There are ponds, streams, and over 4,000 plant species, which is great for children to explore. The Arboretum is a 26 acre, joint project with the City of Fullerton and Cal State Fullerton. Start at 1900 Associated Rd.
There are many more beautiful walks all over Orange County but these are some of my favorites and as I mentioned close to Camden Communities such as; Main & Jamboree, Crown Valley, Martinique, Sea Palms, and Parkside. For more information on Camden, go to http://www.camdenliving.com