When you think of avocados you automatically think of guacamole. It’s rich, creamy, and tastes great with chips and salsa! You can add them to salads, make various recipes, or you can simply eat them plain. Especially here in Southern California we love them! But what you may not realize is avocados have become a “superfood”, because of all the health benefits. Below are some of the benefits of eating and using avocados in your daily life.
- Even though they have a rich fat content, they also have 20 different vitamins and minerals. The most abundant nutrients are vitamins K, C, B5, B6, & E. Avocados have more potassium then bananas, which most people aren’t getting enough of. Potassium intake has been linked to reduced blood pressure. Along with B6, avocados have folic acid which helps reduce cholesterol levels which helps decrease heart disease.
- Avocados have antioxidants that can protect your eyes. These nutrients are Lutein and Zeaxanthin which help lover the age-related eye conditions. They can also help protect the tissues of the eyes from sun damage and cataracts.
- As we age, arthritis and osteoarthritis can be concerns. Avocados have several antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids that make then an anti-inflammatory to reduce arthritis pain and avocado oil will help slow down osteoarthritis.
- Avocados can even help with weight loss. They contain 6-7 grams of fiber in just half of a medium avocado! The fiber helps you feel full and satisfied longer.
Avocados just don’t have benefits when you consume them. They are also very healthy for your skin and hair. Below are several examples and recipes.
- Avocados make great homemade face masks. They are food for all skin types, young and old. It’s best to use ripe, fresh, organic avocados and make sure you mash into a creamy pulp. Try for a scrub: 1 tbsp avocado oil and 1 tbsp brown sugar. Massage the scrub in a circular motion and rinse with warm water. For a classic mask us ½ avocado and ¼ cup honey. Leave on face for 10 minutes and rinse with cool water.
2. Along with skin care, avocados are great for deep conditioning your hair without the chemicals. All you need is 1 ripe avocado and banana, 1 tbsp wheat germ oil or olive oil and a few drops of essential oils, such as lavender, sweet orange, or jasmine. Shampoo your hair and towel dry. Apply the mask and put your hair in a shower cap for 15 minutes. Rinse mask out.
The benefits of avocados will help you stay healthy, live longer, and last but not least taste great!