We are beginning to wrap up this year and I had to take one more trip and decided Peru would be the perfect spot. Flights to South America are very affordable this time of year and it is less busy because kids are still in school. Camden offers great benefits including paid time off. Here are my top five things to do in Peru!
- Visit Machu Picchu: Experiencing Machu Picchu is magical. Walking through the ruins in the clouds at dawn is a once in a lifetime opportunity. They only let a limited amount of people up each day so make sure you plan ahead and buy your tickets in advance!
2. Try a Pisco Sour: This is a delicious cocktail made from Pisco (A Peruvian Liquor made from grapes), egg whites, and bitters. It will stimulate your taste buds and is the perfect pairing with these salty corn snacks! Be careful and don’t drink too many because the altitude in Peru will make one of these feel like you’ve had three.
3. Eat Ceviche: I think I had ceviche everyday while in Peru. It is the perfect combination of fresh fish, herbs, citrus and I love that it is paired with sweet potato and corn.
4. Hang out in the Amazon Jungle: You can take a night bus from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado which drops you off in the Amazon Rain forest where you can stay in huts along the Madre De Dios River at the Yakari Eco Lodge. Right now they have a pet baby monkey that is adorable! You can take day trips to Lago Sandoval where you can spot otters, birds, beautiful butterflies and much more.
5. Try Coca leaf tea: You will find Coca tea all over Peru and no it is not considered a drug here. It actually aids in digestion and helps with nausea. Altitude sickness is common for foreigners to experience here and the tea will help with the symptoms.
If you are ever feeling like you need to get away and take some time to re-charge your batteries I suggest Peru! You will get a mix of friendly people, a cultural experience, and you will enjoy great food. Check out my other things to do in San Diego for more travel ideas.