It is June and it is HOT! We spend 40 hours a week in closed shoes (most of us), so when the weekend finally arrives, no one wants to spend hot, summer days/nights in anything but flip flops. In case you do not now what I am referring to, you know, the (most likely) rubber soled, water proof, extremely freeing sandal-like shoe with a separator between the big toe and the long toe. These must be everyone’s favorite footwear.
Unbeknownst to most of us, flip flops are actually quite gross. As an avid reader of Buzzfeed.com, blogger Erin La Rosa opened my eyes to the grotesque nature of this “fashion trend” that so many of us love.
1) Let us start with the fact that the rubber gets very dirty during the average wear and tear of the shoe. Your feet are exposed for most of the day and can contract fungus and bacteria very quickly.
2) Flip flops can be dangerous due to the fact that they contain little to no foot support while wearing them. Flip flops are also not the most solid shoe either. They can cause people to fall over, stub their toes and scratch their feet due to contact with the ground. If you buy flip flops in the wrong size, the toe separator can also cut into your skin causing an almost “rug burn” like effect.
3) Ugh! That sound! You always know when someone is wearing flip flops because of the noises they make. When it is dry outside the flip flops make an almost heel slapping sound. When it is wet, they kind of “quack” like a duck. No matter what, the sound is annoying and I think we can all agree on that.
4) No matter how much we try to deny this fact it is nearly impossible. Flip flops slip off ALL.THE.TIME. They stick to sticky surfaces, they just slide off all of the time, they fold under your toes etc. Flip flops can be so irritating to wear and they significantly lower your “cool score”. No one, I repeat NO ONE, can feel good after losing a shoe in public.
5) Even attempting to make a flip flop look elegant is foolish. You can put any label you want on it – Michael Kors, Coach, BCBG etc… A flop is a flop, a flip is a flip and a flip flop is a flip flop. Period.
6) Last but not least: Flip flops are unprofessional. Unless you are going to be a bartender in Hawaii, flip flops have no place in an office! Do not do it. Just do not.
After having read this article, I feel kind of embarrassed to be someone that wears flip flops religiously. I have tried to change my disgusting habit out of fear of looking ridiculous. Not all things that feel good are actually good for you. So, this summer: stay away from the Old Navy $1 flip flop sale.